Frame locks are a great tool that adds security and anti-theft protection to your eBike wherever you go. Though these locks are simple enough to use, we want to help you make sure that your lock stays in good working condition for years to come.
Some frame locks have key retention, meaning the key lives in the keyhole of the lock until it is locked, at which point it can be removed. Other locks do not have key retention, so you will need to make sure you have that on you before heading out on an adventure.
Regardless of the key retention type, all cafe locks function similarly.
- Turn the key and hold it in the unlocked position
- On the opposite side of the key there is a lever, push that down until the metal bar has gone through the wheel’s rim and into the other side of the lock
- Continue holding light pressure on the lever down as you release the twist on the key
- As long as the lever is secured once key it in a mutual position, remove the key
- And that’s it!
- Insert the key but do not turn it just yet
- Place your hand with light pressure on the lock lever
- Turn the key and guide the lever to the open position while keeping that pressure
- And you’re ready to ride!
Note: The purpose of keeping light pressure on the lever when unlocking frame locks is to prevent the lock from springing back and “slamming” into place. Over time that repetitive force can damage the springs or other lock internals.